Gender and ethnic differences are the reasons for the appearance of the individual that how he looks and presents himself before people. However, gender and ethnicity influence the overall existence of the individual in following ways.
- Physical Features– shape and size of the body, colour of skin, hair colour and other characteristics.
- Biology– Hormonal pattern, patterns of genetic inheritance.
- Culture– hair styling, food choices, clothing.
Hair Transplant and Gender & Ethnic Consideration-
– When one chooses for hair transplant it is important to address and look into all these considerations, the same should be done by hair restoration specialist who will work with the patient. When the consultation is performed with patients hair surgeon and patients should discuss gender and ethnic considerations that are obvious and necessary to point on.
Gender and ethnic consideration for successful hair transplant procedures-
- Head Shape– If a person has long head, the hair transplant would be different, for round head vice versa.
- Hair Characteristics– Colour of hair, hair calibre (diameter), hair type (straight, curly, wavy). They influence the hair transplant results.
- Density Of Hair– the number of hairs per square centimetre of the scalp- like in East Asia hairs rate per square centimetre is 200 while in Caucasians it is 130 per square centimetre.
- Skin Thickness– Thickness is a genetic characteristic of skin that influences the technique of hair transplant while setting donor hair into the transplantation site.
- Cultural Preference– The ethnicity of a person can affect the hair transplant that how much hair many hairlines to be placed and what level of baldness is acceptable. Such consideration can vary from region to region.
Gender has major implications for patterns of hair loss and preferences for hair restoration:
Pattern Hair Loss
Mainly called Androgenic Alopecia, it can show different symptoms in men than women. Like in men the pattern of hair loss (Male Pattern Baldness) is a well-defined shape and mostly takes place at front and crown part of the scalp. While the pattern of hair loss in women is like a “Christmas Tree”. Hair Loss can occur in crown part and after affect the side and front part of the scalp (forehead and ears).
Influence Of Hair Culture
In women hair culture they intended to believe in having long hairs with higher density while men do not consider it until it affects their appearance. While looking for hair transplantation men may not look for achieving higher density but at a level where their baldness can be hidden, women emphasise on restoration full hair density, that is only acceptable outcomes for them.
Characteristics of Hair
women have hairs with a smaller caliber and lower density while they rate is found higher in men. This might play an important role in considering donor area available for hair transplantation and creation of acceptable donor area.
Shock Loss” Of Transplanted Hair
It is a term called Telogen Effluvium, where after hair transplant surgery, a temporary hair loss occurs in both and women. Women are likely affected by it. Hair Transplant Surgery is kind of trauma person faces, that affects the hair growth cycle and hair shedding appear.When hair restoration specialist and patients engage in face to face conversation and discussing preoperative planning, gender and ethical consideration regarding hair loss, must be kept in mind. It can provide good results after hair transplant surgery.